Tuesday, October 6, 2009

It's Been a Good Week

Yes, it's only Tuesday. Yes, I had a misunderstanding / miscommunication with the wife that put a bit of funk on the weekend (all better now). Yes, a pipe on the bathroom sink is leaking and I have to meet with a plumber to get it fixed. Yes, my condo goes up for auction tomorrow and my credit is doomed from here to eternity. I'm aware of all this.

The universe can throw whatever it wants at me right now, and it's trying. But what it can't do is take away one of my life's greatest achievements. Last night in a softball playoff game, yours truly launched a towering three-run homer over the centerfield fence. The shot put our team (Team Au Jus) in position to tie the game and send us to extra innings.

Team Au Jus lost the game, but put up a great fight. Down one player all night and sacrificing one out every other inning, we weren't expected to hang. But hang we did.

But let's not lose sight of what's really important here: Lightning's personal stats!

I am a lifelong baseball fan. I played little league for only two years and have played on a number of softball teams. I've always been able to hold my own, but I've always lacked that one thing - homerun power. I have never hit a homer in my life, outside of front yard games with tennis balls or those plays where an outfielder can't find a handle on the ball and I've raced around and scored.

This was a legitimate, I daresay "Ruthian" blast to the deepest part of the ball park. It was a shot that, if not for the trees beyond the centerfield fence, would likely be in Venice right now telling Sheriff how I also kicked his ass in Fantasy Football last night.

Some of you may say, "It's softball, who gives a crap?" and to you, World, I say "suck it!".

I hit a homerun. I feel like I'm 12 again. It's a good feeling. So good, in fact, that I've had the homerun ball (which I immediately stole) bronzed and will wear it as a medallion from this point on. Has your week been as good as mine? Doubtful. But better luck next week!



UPDATE: It should also be noted that, in addition to "The Shot Heard 'Round Fair Oaks", I also hit an inside-the-park homerun. This was a play that, while also a powerful drive to the deep outfield, was really more of an Usain Bolt-like display of speed. As I rounded third before the fielder even reached the ball, they never had a chance. The game was delayed for 15 minutes as the fire department was called in to douse the flames on the basepaths.

1 comment:

  1. Not to steal your fame, Mr. Lightning.. But I also had a good game- 3-4, 2 singles, a double, run, rbi AND the ground out doubleplay that almost ended the game... So yah... who's more memorable now...

    BTW- you also had a in the park homer. The only thing I've seen faster was chics' heads turning to look at your hair...

    ReplyDelete