Friday, July 31, 2009

Deadliest Chet

*the following has been conceived through a number of thoughts and conversations between a small group. It's basically an inside joke. If you're not one of those that gets it, you're not missing anything*

Episode 1

It's January on the Bering Sea. Following a grueling king crab season that saw injuries, death, and very small returns, the Tug's fleet has set out again in hopes of reversing their fortunes in the hunt for Opilio Crab.

At Dutch Harbor, Lightning, veteran Captain of the 180 foot 'Boca Chain' is already off to a rough start as his newest crew members struggle to ready their gear for the season.

Lightning: Well, we picked up these guys in town said they were looking for a job, so I gave them a shot. We'll see how it goes, but I ain't seen anything yet to warrant getting my hopes up.

Sheriff: This is so weird. I was up here in Alaska on a site-seeing tour and I'm assaulted by these men as I walked out of the salon. They threw a bag over my head - incidentally, it completely ruined my new look - and next thing you know, I'm on this dock. But hey, I went fishing once when I was 5 at a pond by my house. This can't be much different, right?

Up in the wheel house, Deck Boss Boca is voicing his concerns with the captain.

Boca: I don't know what you're thinking, Lightning. That Sheriff kid broke a nail tying his shoes. And this Chet guy you found....he keeps calling the bait "sushi" and speaking in bad quotes from washed up comedians. I don't even think he knows he's in Alaska.

Lightning: Well, since we lost Murray and Gunther to the pink eye, it's all we've got right now so we'll have to deal with it. You gotta trust me with this. I've always found the crab, always got us paid, and you and I could run this ship by ourselves. If it comes down to it, we bring Molly up out of the kitchen to the sorting table and those guys head down to cook...or crochet....or whatever it is they do. She knows more about the crabs than anyone anyway.

Boca: You're the boss. But I kid you not - if I hear about spa day or Kenny Fucking Powers again, I'm throwing both of their asses overboard. Why? Cuz Boca just don't give a fuck.

With the Crew assembled and the gear loaded, deckhand Boca Jr. cuts the ship loose from the dock and the Boca Chain sets sail into the teeth of another Bering Sea winter. The search for Opilio, fortune, and survival is on.

Welcome to Alaska.

No comments:

Post a Comment